Accommodation for Newcomers in Georgetown, Ontario

Accommodation for Newcomers in Georgetown, Ontario

Accommodation for Newcomers in Georgetown, Ontario

Georgetown, Ontario Accommodation for New Migrants

New immigrants arriving in Georgetown, Ontario have a tough task ahead of them. It is the same around the world. When you land in a new country you have to do everything in one go, and this includes finding someplace to live in Georgetown, Ontario.


Usually, accommodation for newcomers in Georgetown, Ontario is done on a short-term basis. Once the newcomer and their family have a better idea of where they want to live in Georgetown, Ontario then they’ll usually move a second or third time until they are finally settled. It is the same in Georgetown, Ontario, Canada as in virtually every place in the world.


Where is most newcomer accommodation in Georgetown, Ontario?



Accommodation for newcomers in Georgetown, Ontario guide


Georgetown, Ontario is well known the world over for being extremely welcoming to new migrants to Canada. It’s a charming place with plenty or heritage. All newcomers to Georgetown, Ontario need to know some of the culture and heritage.


Information on Georgetown, Ontario, Canada


Georgetown is a large unincorporated community in the town of Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada, in the Regional Municipality of Halton. The town includes several small villages or settlements such as Norval, Limehouse, Stewarttown and Glen Williams near Georgetown and another large population centre, Acton. In 2016, the population of Georgetown was 42,123. It sits on the banks of the Credit River, approximately 40 km west of Toronto, and is part of the Greater Toronto Area. Georgetown was named after entrepreneur George Kennedy who settled in the area in 1821 and built several mills and other businesses.

By 1650, the Hurons had been wiped out by European diseases and the Iroquois. The region was now open to the Algonquian Ojibwa (also known as Mississauga). By 1850 the remaining Mississauga natives were removed to the Six Nations Reserve, where the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation Reserve was established.

Commencing in 1781, the British government purchased blocks of land from the Mississauga Nation. In 1818, they purchased land that later became the townships of Esquesing and Nassagaweya. The task of laying out the townships fell to Timothy Street and Abraham Nelles. Charles Kennedy was hired by Nelles to survey the northern part of Esquesing Township in 1819, and Charles Kennedy received a significant parcel of land as payment for his work. The brothers of Charles Kennedy, John, Morris, Samuel and George, all acquired land close to each another in the Silver Creek Valley. Charles Kennedy built a sawmill in a location where Main Street meets Wildwood Road today.

George Kennedy took advantage of the Silver Creek in the early 1820s to power a sawmill, and later a gristmill and foundry and then a woolen mill; a small settlement formed around the mills, often called “Hungry Hollow”. In 1828, John Galt of the Canada Company opened the York to Guelph Road (now Highway 7) which connected the settlement around George Kennedy’s Mill with other settlements in the area. The road also extended to Galt, to Guelph and to Goderich.

In 1837 the Barber brothers, including William and James, purchased land and the woolen mill and foundry from Kennedy in 1837; they renamed the settlement Georgetown. The brothers started the paper-making industry in 1854, using electricity produced by a dynamo at the Credit River. Their products included large volumes of wallpaper. John R. Barber’s home, Berwick Hall, still stands at Main and Park Streets. The business prospered for over 100 years. Other entrepreneurs arrived including Philo Dayfoot in the early 1840s, who started the local leather industry. In the 1850s, George Kennedy subdivided his land into small lots for sale to new settlers.

Esquesing Village (Stewarttown) was settled around 1818 and became the seat of the Township of Esquesing. It was also on the main north-south route to the steamships at Oakville. The Stewart Brothers had a successful mill in Esquesing Village, and James McNab had a prosperous mill in Norval.

In 1846, Norval had a population of about 200 inhabitants, served by two churches, various tradesmen, a grist mill, an oatmeal mill, a distillery, two stores and a tavern. Author Lucy Maud Montgomery who wrote the Anne of Green Gables series lived in Norval from 1926 to 1935 and considered it to be “one of the prettiest villages in all Ontario”.

The settlement of Glen Williams had been called Williamsburg but the name was changed in 1852 when the post office opened. The Barbers’ brother-in-law, Benajah Williams, was one of the first settlers here and the community’s name was given in his honour. Limehouse, formerly Fountain Green, was a small settlement that grew after the railway arrived in the area in 1856; in addition to lime kilns (which opened in about 1840), a sawmill, blanket factory and paint factory opened in the village. In 1893, a fire destroyed the woollen mill, a paint factory and wood at the waterlime mill in Limehouse creating a serious financial problem for the settlement. The lime industry operated until 1917.

In 1846, Georgetown had a grist mill, sawmill, cloth factory, tavern, cabinet maker, foundry, chair maker, two tanneries, two tailors, two stores, three wagon makers, three shoemakers, and four blacksmiths. The population was about 700.

The Grand Trunk Railway arrived in 1856 and a line of the Hamilton and North-Western Railway reached the community about 20 years later. The two provided a convenient method for transporting not only passengers but manufactured goods. Hotels opened near the station, including the Railroad Exchange in a building that still stands. Georgetown was incorporated as a village in 1864. In 1869 the population was 1500; the Ontario Gazetteer mentioned Barber Brothers as a noted paper goods manufacturer with a staff of 40.

The settlement was incorporated as the village of Georgetown in 1865. The 1860s and 1870s were prosperous years. Recently opened businesses in that era included the Georgetown Herald newspaper, Culp and Mackenzie’s carriage making enterprise, the Creelman brothers’ machine shop and the Bank of Hamilton, the first to open in the entire Halton County. By 1880, the Chapel Street School and Baptist Church and the Town Hall had been built; the high school opened in 1887.

Georgetown residents began to receive municipal water in 1891, piped by gravity. Electricity was not available until 1913 although John R. Barber had purchased a generator in 1888 and installed it at the Credit River; that provided power for the family’s paper mill.

On May 13, 1895, brothers Sam & John McGibbon leased, in partnership, Thomas Clark’s Hotel for $600/year. The Hotel McGibbon was built by Robert Jones and was sold to Clark in about 1867. A double veranda graced the Main & Mill Street side of the building until the hotel was ravaged by fire in the 1880s. After the fire, a third floor was added to part of the building. The McGibbon family lived at the hotel. Sam’s wife, Ann, kept white linen in the dining room, and in its earliest years had been a popular place for wedding receptions and banquets.

The Toronto Suburban Railway Company ran the Toronto-Guelph electric rail line through Georgetown opening opening 1917. The line, which transported both goods and passengers, had a combined station and substation building located at 29 Main Street South (at the current Goodfellas Pizza site). The line closed in 1931 after business had declined substantially. The venture failed because of the Depression and the increasing popularity of the automobile, buses and trucks. Its proximity to the competing Grand Trunk Railway (Canadian National) line was also a factor.

By 1921 the village had over 2000 residents and was incorporated as a town in 1922, with LeRoy Dale as the first mayor. Many historic buildings still stand in the heart of Georgetown and in its small, more rural communities.

In the mid-1940s, the population was close to 4,000 and began to grow more quickly in the 1950s when Rex Heslop bought farms and developed the Delrex subdivision. The Hotel McGibbon was still operating although Sam McGibbon had died in 1940; a daughter, Gladys, and a son, Jack, took over the business until 1962 when it was sold to Isaac Sitzer Investments and later to George and Nick Markou purchased the hotel in 1978 and operated it until the property was sold to a condominium developer in 2015.

In 1962, the Moore Park subdivision started construction and would attract more residents to town. By that time, Georgetown had its own hospital.

The GO train arrived in Georgetown in 1974; the service has since expanded with a great deal of available parking at the Georgetown GO Station and frequent commuter trains on weekdays. On January 1, 1974 Georgetown was absorbed into the new regional town of Halton Hills. One of most significant changes since then included the Georgetown South residential expansion that started in 1989. The two paper companies, Provincial Papers and Georgetown Coated Paper Company closed in 1991 and 1977 respectively.

On July 1, 1923, the first 50 orphans of the Armenian genocide arrived in Georgetown to be educated and trained for farming at the Cedarvale Farm, now known as Cedarvale Park, operated by the Armenian Canadian Relief Fund. The children were known as the Georgetown Boys. By 1928, most had homes on farms. Aris Alexanian was a teacher and assistant superintendent at the school. He went on to open an oriental rug store in Hamilton, Ontario, which has grown throughout Ontario and is now known as Alexanian Carpet and Flooring. In 1929 the farm became the Cedarvale School for Girls; most of the residents found positions as domestic staff. In total, 109 boys and 40 girls were taken in by the Canadian government, considered by many to be Canada’s first humanitarian initiative. Many became Canadian citizens.

The area had no early history of a concentration of French-Canadians, but that changed after World War II. First, in 1947, a boys’ orphan farm relocated from St. Catharines, to Georgetown. This orphanage was operated by Father Clovis Beauregard and his niece, Therese St Jean. The Acadian boys from the orphanage decided to remain here in adulthood. The boys had learned apple farming and other Acadian families moved here to assist them with their apple business. Second, in 1957 a French-Canadian Association was formed. By 1966, about 150 French-speaking Catholic families created their own parish when the old Holy Cross Church was rededicated as L’Eglise Sacre Coeur.

On January 1, 1974, Georgetown became part of the Town of Halton Hills when it amalgamated with the Town of Acton and most of the Township of Esquesing.

Together with the Town of Milton, the Town of Oakville and the City of Burlington, the Regional Municipality of Halton was formed, replacing Halton County. Halton Hills is well known for its terrain including slopes and inclines. In 1932, Bill Gauser proposed the idea to change the name from Halton to Halton Hills.

Georgetown grew as new neighbourhoods were added. The oldest section is around Main Street and Church Street. The arrival of the railway produced a new section — around King Street and Queen Street. The Delrex subdivision was the third part of the town that was added. Shortly after Delrex, Moore Park was developed. In 1989, the Georgetown South development began and the town has grown considerably since that point.

The population at the time of the 2016 census was 42,123 (an increase of 4.8% over 2011) in the 24 km² of the community. There were 14,679 private dwellings at that time. Data from previous years indicates steady growth.

Census data for periods prior to the amalgamation into the present Town are as follows:

Georgetown ceased to be a separate town in 1974, and is now part of the Town of Halton Hills, which is divided into four wards, each with two elected Councillors. Two others are Regional Councillors, each representing two wards on Halton Hills Council, and also serve on the Halton Region Council as does the mayor.

The current membership of the town council is as follows:

Halton Hills has its own fire department but policing is provided by the Halton Regional Police Service. Halton Hills has its own official plan which came into force on 28 March 2008 and was consolidated in 2017 with the Region’s plan.

Georgetown’s sports teams include :

Georgetown Minor Hockey Association – Raiders – In 2013, the Acton Tanners and the Georgetown Raiders Minor Hockey Association completed their merger to create the Halton Hills Thunder Minor Hockey Association.
Georgetown Raiders Sr A competed in the OHA Senior A and Intermediate A ranks in the 1970s and 1980s. They are not connected to another Georgetown Raiders team which is currently a member of the Ontario Provincial Junior A Hockey League.

The second Saturday in June, Georgetown is host to a variety of Scottish traditional games and celebrations.

A farmers’ market operates on Main St. in downtown Georgetown on Saturdays 8:00am – 12:30pm from June through October. The section of Main St. that hosts the market is closed off to vehicles during the event.

The Fall Fair was started in 1846. It is held the Friday to Sunday following the Labour Day Weekend. The annual event is held at the Georgetown Fairgrounds and consists mainly of carnival rides and rural contests, such as the tractor pull and demolition derby. The Georgetown Agricultural Society organizes and runs the fair each year.

In 2003, the Fall Fair was the scene of a riot which broke out between local youth (approximately 500) and the Halton Regional Police force. There were several teens arrested and at least another half a dozen shot by rubber bullets during the riot. No major property damage occurred, only a portion of a small white picket fence was damaged. Conflict in the years following the event has so far been avoided.

The third Sunday in November, the evening parade begins at 5pm. Organized by the Georgetown Lions Club. Includes a variety of floats from local organizations and businesses, bands, and Santa Claus. The parade route is: Guelph Street from Sinclair to Mill Street and Charles Street to the Fairgrounds. These roads are closed to traffic from approximately 5:00–7:00pm.

Also known as “Head For The Hills”, this festival is held the third Saturday of the month in September, and runs from 11:00am–6:00pm at Trafalgar Sports Park. Organized by the Georgetown Lions Club, Georgetown Kiwanis Club, Georgetown Kinsmen Club, and Georgetown Rotary Club. The festival showcases craft brewers from across Ontario, gourmet food trucks, live music, and games.

Public education in Georgetown is managed by the Halton District School Board, while Catholic education is managed by the Halton Catholic District School Board.








Two buildings in Georgetown were designed by Toronto architect E.J. Lennox:

Major industries with head offices and facilities in Georgetown include Mold Masters Limited, CPI Canada, Eastwood Guitars, and Saputo. Other major industrial concerns include Cooper Standard, ADM Archer Daniels Midland Cocoa (was Ambrosia Chocolate), Howmet Georgetown Casting, a division of Alcoa Power and Propulsion and Kingsbury Technologies (Canada) Inc. The community also serves as the Canadian headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Georgetown has seen an explosion of population growth in the south. This has caused new businesses to appear including Tim Hortons, Sherwin-Williams, Metro, and others.

The Georgetown Marketplace is Georgetown’s Mall. It has roughly 63 stores, including major companies such as WalMart. The mall is home to stores such as: Peoples Jewelers, Coles, Winners & Home Sense, Sport Chek, Marks Work Wearhouse, and Ardene.

The Bruce Trail goes through Halton Hills, passing north of Georgetown.

The town is developing a multi-purpose trail system in Hungry Hollow, on old railbeds and various other locations. A citizens group called HHORBA is trying to work with the Town in planning and constructing the trails to be as environmentally friendly, safe for hikers and enjoyable for bicyclists as possible. HHORBA helped construct a one trail and three bridges with members of the Bruce Trail. HHORBA in the past has been a member of the International Mountain Bicycling Association.

Located outside of the Mold-Masters SportsPlex at 221 Guelph Street, this facility was made possible by the co-operative efforts of the Halton Hills Community through the Skateboarders, Inline Skaters & BMX Bikers of Halton Hills (SIBAHH) Committee and the Recreation and Parks Department. Funding was provided through generous community donations and the Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills. The facility is user supervised and is managed through posted regulations.

Located on Eighth Line just north of 10 Side Road in South Georgetown. The facility contains a large indoor swimming pool and hosts various exercise classes plus other community events. Outside amenities include a splash pad, three baseball diamonds, soccer field, six tennis courts and park trails. The Gellert Community Centre is the namesake of the late Jobst Gellert, founder of Mold Masters LTD, headquartered in Georgetown.

The Halton Hills Public Library is a two-branch library system. Both branches reflect the historic character of the community. The Georgetown Branch (9 Church Street) is co-located with the Halton Hills Cultural Centre, anchored by the former Methodist Church (now the Art Gallery) and The John Elliott Theatre. The Acton Branch (17 River Street) was built as the community’s centennial project in a park setting, across a foot bridge over a creek.

On Saturday January 26, 2013 the renovated Georgetown Branch of the Halton Hills Public Library opened. The renovations included making the library more accessible to the public as well as more environmentally friendly.

Georgetown is covered by local newspapers and television through the following services:

GO Transit and Via Rail serve Georgetown Station. There is no local bus service, although the Georgetown Halton Hills ActiVan provides local transportation for individuals with physical disabilities. GO Transit offers both bus and rail services through the Georgetown GO Station. The GO Transit Kitchener rail line runs between Toronto and Kitchener. The GO bus connects to many of the nearby communities including Brampton, Toronto, Acton, Guelph, and Kitchener.

Georgetown is also linked to the Provincial Highway network by Highway 7, and to Highway 401 by Trafalgar Road (Halton Regional Road 3), Mountainview Road/9th Line (Halton Regional Road 13) and Winston Churchill Boulevard (Halton Regional Road 19)

There are no airports in Georgetown; the closest are Brampton Airport (general aviation) to the north and Toronto Pearson International Airport (domestic and international flights) to the east.


Finding Immigration Accommodation for Newcomers in Georgetown, Ontario


Most searches for immigration accommodation for newcomers in Georgetown, Ontario begin with a search engine. Local papers in Georgetown, Ontario may well be online and of course accommodation websites like Craigslist Georgetown, Ontario and Book Direct and Save Georgetown, Ontariocan be of great help.


What is the cost of newcomer accommodation in Georgetown, Ontario


Georgetown, Ontario accommodation for newcomers varies greatly in cost depending on requirements and neighborhoods. Lots of new arrivals to Georgetown, Ontario use to give them an indication of short-term rental process in Georgetown, Ontario and also the option to book with confidence and security.


Rental accommodation in Georgetown, Ontario for newcomers


Once you decide to rent a property in Georgetown, Ontario there are certain things specific to Georgetown, Ontario to keep in mind. For example, make sure to agree on who pays for utilities such as electricity and water.


Property owners and landlords in Georgetown, Ontario will usually require references and bank statements and not all individuals and families looking for newcomer accommodation in Georgetown, Ontario have access to these so do make sure you locate some of the new immigrant services in Georgetown, Ontario.


Rental housing is the most common housing option for new immigrants in Georgetown, Ontario. With a huge range of rental properties available, including apartments, condos, and co-living spaces, new arrivals can easily find a rental property that meets their needs and budget.


Apartments in Georgetown, Ontario are available in a variety of sizes and styles, from studios to multi-bedroom units. They can be found in a range of neighbourhoods from the downtown area to the more relaxed suburbs. Rent prices can vary greatly but expect to pay around CAD $1,800 to CAD $4,500 per month for an apartment in the centre of Georgetown, Ontario.


Co-living options are increasingly popular for new immigrants in Georgetown, Ontario, offering a more affordable and social living experience. They usually have private bedrooms and shared living spaces with added benefits like cleaning, internet and utilities included in the rent.  Rent prices for co-living spaces in Georgetown, Ontario start from CAD $1,500 per month.


When choosing a rental property make sure to consider the cost of living and the lease terms and conditions.  Read the fine print on your lease documents as it is a contract you are signing so it is important you fully understand.


You can find even more detailed information about life in Georgetown, Ontario here, places to go, things to do and how to get around in Georgetown, Ontario.



Hotel Accommodation for New Immigrants in Georgetown, Ontario


Some newcomers arriving in Georgetown, Ontario find it easier to take residence in a Georgetown, Ontario hotel for a few weeks before finding something more permanent.


Long-term hotels in Georgetown, Ontario offer affordable rates and flexible stay options for individuals and families who need a place to stay for a few weeks or months.  You might find standard hotels in the area offer a few rooms at long-term rates to ensure they have a regular income.  Ask around and always book direct with the hotel as they can give the best rate that way.  The best way to book direct is with


Business NameRatingCategoriesPhone NumberAddress
Best Western Halton HillsBest Western Halton Hills
3 reviews
Hotels+19058776986365 Guelph St, Georgetown, ON L7G 4B6, Canada
Home2 Suites by Hilton Milton OntarioHome2 Suites by Hilton Milton Ontario
4 reviews
Hotels+128987838008490 Parkhill Drive, Milton, ON L9T 9B3, Canada
Holiday Inn Express & Suites MiltonHoliday Inn Express & Suites Milton
8 reviews
Hotels, Venues & Event Spaces+190587649552750 High Point Dr, Milton, ON L9T 5G5, Canada
Millcroft Inn and SpaMillcroft Inn and Spa
55 reviews
Hotels+1519941811155 John Street, Alton, ON L7K 0C4, Canada
Best Western MiltonBest Western Milton
6 reviews
Hotels+19058753818161 Chisholm Dr, Milton, ON L9T 4A6, Canada
Best Western Plus Orangeville Inn & SuitesBest Western Plus Orangeville Inn & Suites
4 reviews
Hotels+151994133117 Buena Vista Dr, Orangeville, ON L9W 0A2, Canada
Comfort InnComfort Inn
8 reviews
Hotels+190545206005 Rutherford Rd S, Brampton, ON L6W 3J3, Canada
Station HotelStation Hotel
1 review
Hotels+15198530620137 Mill Street E, Acton, ON L7J 1H9, Canada
Staybridge Suites Oakville-BurlingtonStaybridge Suites Oakville-Burlington
4 reviews
Hotels, Venues & Event Spaces+190584726002511 Wyecroft Rd, Oakville, ON L6L 6P8, Canada
Delta Hotels by Marriott Toronto MississaugaDelta Hotels by Marriott Toronto Mississauga
4 reviews
Hotels+190589610003670 Hurontario Street, Mississauga, ON L5B 1P3, Canada
Hilton Mississauga/MeadowvaleHilton Mississauga/Meadowvale
31 reviews
Hotels+190582119816750 Mississauga Road, Mississauga, ON L5N 2L3, Canada
Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International AirportSheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport
68 reviews
Hotels+19056727000Terminal 3, Toronto AMF, Toronto, ON L5P 1C4, Canada
Courtyard by MarriottCourtyard by Marriott
12 reviews
Hotels+19056701947290 Derry Road West, Mississauga, ON L5W 1N6, Canada
Courtyard by Marriott BurlingtonCourtyard by Marriott Burlington
2 reviews
Hotels+128933727001110 Burloak Dr, Burlington, ON L7L 6P8, Canada
Courtyard by MarriottCourtyard by Marriott
21 reviews
Hotels+1800943670790 Biscayne Crescent, Brampton, ON L6W 4S1, Canada
Holiday Inn Express & Suites BramptonHoliday Inn Express & Suites Brampton
6 reviews
Hotels, Venues & Event Spaces+1905791743310 Nevets Road, Brampton, ON L6T 5T2, Canada
Fairfield Inn & Suites Toronto MississaugaFairfield Inn & Suites Toronto Mississauga
17 reviews
Hotels+1905564203035 Courtneypark Drive West, Mississauga, ON L5W 0E3, Canada
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton BoltonHampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Bolton
5 reviews
Hotels+1905857999012700 Highway 50, Bolton, ON L7E 1L9, Canada
Quality Inn & SuitesQuality Inn & Suites
4 reviews
Hotels+1905454130030 Clark Boulevard, Brampton, ON L6W 1X3, Canada
Motel 6Motel 6
11 reviews
Hotels+190581416642935 Argentia Road, Mississauga, ON L5N 8G6, Canada

If you are looking for accommodation in another town or city in Canada, you can find it on our Canada Living Guide index page which has guides to finding housing in Canada as a newcomer in more than 700 cities and towns across the country.

Jacqueline Chow is an international immigration and visa expert with over 15 years of experience in the field. With a background in law and a passion for helping people, Jacqueline has built a reputation as a trusted and reliable source of information and advice on all aspects of immigration and visas. She has worked with clients from all over the world, including high-net-worth individuals, professionals, skilled workers and families. As a sought-after speaker and commentator Jacqueline has been featured in various media outlets and has given talks on immigration and visas at conferences and events around the world.