Immigrate to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary

Immigrate to Canada as a a Lawyer or Quebec notary

Immigrate to Canada as a a Lawyer or Quebec notary

Lawyers and Quebec notaries are in demand right across Canada and you may be able to secure a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa either with or without a job offer.


There are thousands of Lawyers and Quebec notaries just like you moving to Canada. Find out how to join them.  Canada needs more Lawyers and Quebec notaries.  If you are thinking about moving to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary, all the information you need is right here.

Moving to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary

Moving to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary

Lawyers and Quebec notaries are wanted in Canada

Did you know that Lawyers and Quebec notaries are one of the most in-demand jobs in Canada? Lawyers and Quebec notaries are in high demand in all 11 of Canada’s provinces and territories, and as a highly-skilled professional, you can expect to earn between $64700 and $104500 per year.


When considering Canada as your new home, there are not only numerous immigration options for you to choose from, but plenty of job opportunities too.

Jobs in Canada for Lawyers and Quebec notaries

One of the biggest questions when moving to Canada is “will I be able to find work as a Lawyer or Quebec notary in Canada?”. The simple answer is Yes, you will!  (Of course each Lawyers and Quebec notaries level of training and experience is a core factor, as is the case in any country.)


Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about jobs in Canada for Lawyers and Quebec notaries.

Is There Really a Demand for Lawyers and Quebec notaries in Canada?

Yes there is! As mentioned previously, you can immigrate to Canada as an experienced Lawyer and Quebec notary with a high chance of finding employment in any of Canada’s 11 provinces. These job opportunities can be found in:


  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Quebec
  • Saskatchewan


Over the next few years, it is estimated that there will be 21000 new jobs created due to expansion and a need for replacement as well as 28000 new positions for graduates and immigrants to fill who want to live and work in Canada.


This is why Canada needs Lawyers and Quebec notaries.  You really can be moving to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary

How Much Do Lawyers and Quebec notaries Earn in Canada?

Salaries in Canada are very competitive and, as an experienced Lawyer and Quebec notary, you can expect to earn between $64700 and $104500 per year.

How do I search for Lawyer and Quebec notary positions in Canada?

Most Lawyer and Quebec notary jobs in Canada are advertised online on jobs sites.  Often, a code is used to identify Lawyer and Quebec notary jobs.  These codes are used across Canada to identify all kinds of occupations.


The codes are called NOC codes.  The NOC code for Lawyer and Quebec notary is 4112.  There are a range of positions that are associated with Lawyers and Quebec notaries.


These are occupations many Lawyers and Quebec notaries also participate in.  If you work in or are employed as any of the following positions, you are covered by the overarching noc code of 4112 for Lawyers and Quebec notaries


Lawyers and Quebec notaries advise clients on legal matters represent clients before administration boards and draw up legal documents such as contracts and wills. Lawyers also plead cases represent clients before tribunals and conduct prosecutions in courts of law. Lawyers are employed in law firms and prosecutor’s offices. Quebec notaries are employed in notary offices. Both lawyers and Quebec notaries are employed by federal provincial and municipal governments and various business establishments or they may be self-employed. Articling students are included in this unit group.;


Further Positions within the term of Lawyer and Quebec notary include:


  • Administrative lawyer
  • Advisory counsel
  • Articling law student
  • Assistant corporate counsel
  • Assistant Crown attorney
  • Assistant general solicitor
  • Assistant legal advisor
  • Assistant regional counsel
  • Associate counsel
  • Associate lawyer
  • Associate legal advisor
  • Associate legal counsel
  • Attorney
  • Attorney-at-law
  • Attorney’s assistant chief agent
  • Barrister
  • Barrister and solicitor
  • City attorney
  • City solicitor
  • Civil lawyer
  • Claim attorney
  • Commercial law notary
  • Commercial lawyer
  • Contract counsel
  • Corporate counsel
  • Corporate notary (Quebec)
  • Corporation lawyer
  • Counsel
  • Counsellor-at-law
  • Counsellor-lawyer
  • County attorney
  • Criminal lawyer
  • Crown attorney
  • Crown corporation counsel
  • Crown counsel
  • Crown prosecutor
  • Defence counsel
  • Departmental solicitor


If your position is on the above list, you have found your relevant NOC Code, it is 4112

How Do I Move to Canada to Live and Work as a Lawyer or Quebec notary?

Step 1 : Determine you are eligible to immigrate

The simplest way to do this is to take our free visa assessment.  There are more than 80 visa pathways to Canada.  Once you take your visa assessment we will be able to guide you as to which is the best path for your particular circumstances.

Step 2: Have Your Qualifications Accredited for Canada

In order to live and work in Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary, you will need to have your qualifications that you earned outside of Canada accredited and ensure that it is recognized in Canada.


An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) confirms that your degree, diploma or certificate is both valid and equal to Canadian standards. This is vital as it will allow you to claim the Permanent Residency points for your education and training and might also be required for employment, professional registration within Canada and Canadian immigration services.


Below is a list of designated organizations that are  licensed to do your assessment:


  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies;
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada;
  • World Education Services;
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS); and
  • International Credential Evaluation Service.


Educational and experience requirements for Lawyers and Quebec notaries include:


  • Lawyers
  • Two to three years of undergraduate studies or in Quebec completion of a college program and a bachelor’s degree from a recognized law school and successful completion of the bar examination and completion of a period of articling are required.
  • Supervised practical experience is usually required.
  • Successful completion of provincial written and oral examinations may be required.
  • Registration with a provincial governing body is mandatory to practise as a social worker in Newfoundland and Labrador Nova Scotia Prince Edward Island New Brunswick Quebec Ontario Alberta and British Columbia.
  • Use of the titles Social Worker and Registered Social Worker is regulated in all provinces.
  • Membership in a provincial association of social workers is usually required.


You may be required to provide a range of documentation and references to prove your abilities and experience during your evaluation process for Canadian Immigration.

Start Your Evaluation

Step 3: Start the Migration Process, apply for your Canada Visa

There are many routes you can take when moving to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary but we’ve listed the top 4 ways that will give you the greatest chances of success in the application process:


  1. Express Entry system
  2. Provincial Nominee Program
  3. The Rural and Northern Immigration Program
  4. The Atlantic Immigration Pilot


1. Express Entry

The Express Entry (EE) system is our top choice for moving to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary. Not only is it the fastest but it is also one of the simplest ways to immigrate to Canada. With the right age, language skills in French and/or English, qualifications and other criteria you could be moving to Canada fast, you could be on your way to Canada in 6 months.


The first stage in your Canadian Express Entry immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).


Some of the elements that CRS Points are awarded for include:


  • Age
  • Qualifications
  • English ability
  • French ability
  • Your partner’s skills
  • Work experience


Take our free online visa assessment for an up to date report on whether you have enough points to move to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary from both an Express Entry and Immigration points perspective.


2. Provincial Nominee Program


The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allows skilled and semi-skilled immigrants to live and work in Canada. You will need a valid job offer in Canada of at least 1 year for most immigration streams. 11 provinces and territories have their own PNPs, each with their own with specific labor needs.


If your skills match what your chosen province or territory is looking for, you may receive a provincial nomination, which is worth 600 extra Permanent Residency points which means that you’re practically assured of an offer for Canadian permanent residence.


3. The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot


Seeing as Lawyers and Quebec notaries are in-demand you may be eligible to immigrate to Canada through the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP). There are 11 participating communities currently participating in the pilot program. You will need a valid job offer in one of the participating communities to be considered eligible to apply for Canadian permanent residency through the RNIP.


4. The Atlantic Immigration Pilot


The Atlantic Immigration Pilot allows intermediate to highly and semi-skilled foreign workers to move to Canada’s Atlantic provinces and seeing as Lawyers and Quebec notaries are in high need in the 4 Atlantic provinces, you may be eligible to apply if you have a valid job offer for at least 1 year.

Step 4: Apply for a Lawyer or Quebec notary Job in Canada

As a highly skilled worker, it is not a requirement that you have a job to be able to immigrate to Canada but it will make it faster. It will help with the immigration process as you can earn between 50 and 200 PR points for a valid job offer.  This moves you ahead in the pool of candidates, as the more points you have the more chance you have of receiving an invitation in one of the many offer rounds made within the Canada Visa System.


Lawyers and Quebec notaries in Canada are described as doing the following:



  • Advise clients of their legal rights and all matters related to law
  • Research legal precedents and gather evidence
  • Plead clients’ cases before courts of law tribunals and boards (lawyers only)
  • Draw up legal documents such as real estate transactions wills divorces and contracts and prepare statements of legal opinions
  • Negotiate settlements of civil disputes (lawyers only)
  • Perform administrative and management functions related to the practice of law
  • May act as mediator conciliator or arbitrator
  • May act as executor trustee or guardian in estate and family law matters.
  • Provide consultation services to government and other organizations.
  • Psychologists may specialize in applied psychology or experimental research. Sub-specialties include behavioural psychology child psychology cognitive psychology developmental psychology educational psychology industrial psychology neuropsychology social psychology or sports psychology.



You can expect to see these terms in Job ads in Canada for Lawyers and Quebec notaries along with the following common tasks, duties and responsibilities of Lawyers and Quebec notaries in Canada.


There has never been a better time to get moving to Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary.

If you are looking to apply to move to Canada in a different occupation, you can find the information on our Canada Skilled Immigration Guides page.

If you are looking for a job in Canada – you can find a guide on each occupation and the job application procedure for Canada on our Canada Job Guides index.

As mentioned above you will need to attend the Canadian Embassy nearest you during your application process to live in Canada as a Lawyer or Quebec notary.  You can find the complete list of all Canadian Embassies Worldwide here.

Jacqueline Chow is an international immigration and visa expert with over 15 years of experience in the field. With a background in law and a passion for helping people, Jacqueline has built a reputation as a trusted and reliable source of information and advice on all aspects of immigration and visas. She has worked with clients from all over the world, including high-net-worth individuals, professionals, skilled workers and families. As a sought-after speaker and commentator Jacqueline has been featured in various media outlets and has given talks on immigration and visas at conferences and events around the world.