Immigrate to Canada as a Legal administrative assistant
Legal administrative assistants are in demand right across Canada and you may be able to secure a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa either with or without a job offer.
There are thousands of Legal administrative assistants just like you moving to Canada. Find out how to join them. Canada needs more Legal administrative assistants. If you are thinking about moving to Canada as a Legal administrative assistant, all the information you need is right here.
Legal administrative assistants are wanted in Canada
Did you know that Legal administrative assistants are one of the most in-demand jobs in Canada? Legal administrative assistants are in high demand in all 11 of Canada’s provinces and territories, and as a highly-skilled professional, you can expect to earn between $77800 and $135800 per year.
When considering Canada as your new home, there are not only numerous immigration options for you to choose from, but plenty of job opportunities too.
Jobs in Canada for Legal administrative assistants
One of the biggest questions when moving to Canada is “will I be able to find work as a Legal administrative assistant in Canada?”. The simple answer is Yes, you will! (Of course each Legal administrative assistants level of training and experience is a core factor, as is the case in any country.)
Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about jobs in Canada for Legal administrative assistants.
Is There Really a Demand for Legal administrative assistants in Canada?
Yes there is! As mentioned previously, you can immigrate to Canada as an experienced Legal administrative assistant with a high chance of finding employment in any of Canada’s 11 provinces. These job opportunities can be found in:
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
Over the next few years, it is estimated that there will be 27000 new jobs created due to expansion and a need for replacement as well as 34000 new positions for graduates and immigrants to fill who want to live and work in Canada.
This is why Canada needs Legal administrative assistants. You really can be moving to Canada as a Legal administrative assistant
How Much Do Legal administrative assistants Earn in Canada?
Salaries in Canada are very competitive and, as an experienced Legal administrative assistant, you can expect to earn between $77800 and $135800 per year.
How do I search for Legal administrative assistant positions in Canada?
Most Legal administrative assistant jobs in Canada are advertised online on jobs sites. Often, a code is used to identify Legal administrative assistant jobs. These codes are used across Canada to identify all kinds of occupations.
The codes are called NOC codes. The NOC code for Legal administrative assistant is 1242. There are a range of positions that are associated with Legal administrative assistants.
These are occupations many Legal administrative assistants also participate in. If you work in or are employed as any of the following positions, you are covered by the overarching noc code of 1242 for Legal administrative assistants
Legal administrative assistants perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties in law offices legal departments of large firms real estate companies land title offices municipal provincial and federal courts and government.;
Further Positions within the term of Legal administrative assistant include:
- Administrative assistant – legal
- Collection legal assistant
- Commercial law administrative assistant
- Commercial law legal assistant
- Commercial law secretary
- Corporate finance legal assistant
- Corporate law administrative assistant
- Corporate law legal assistant
- Corporate law secretary
- Corporate records legal assistant
- Estate administrative assistant
- Estate secretary
- Family law legal assistant
- Foreclosures legal assistant
- Insurance legal assistant
- Labour law legal assistant
- Legal administrative assistant
- Legal assistant
- Legal assistant – criminal law
- Legal secretary
- Legal stenographer
- Litigation administrative assistant
- Litigation legal assistant
- Litigation secretary
- Mortgage and real estate legal assistant
- Oil and gas rights legal assistant
- Real estate administrative assistant
- Real estate secretary
- Tax legal assistant
- Trademark administrative assistant
- Trademark secretary
- Wills and estates legal assistant
If your position is on the above list, you have found your relevant NOC Code, it is 1242
How Do I Move to Canada to Live and Work as a Legal administrative assistant?
Step 1 : Determine you are eligible to immigrate
The simplest way to do this is to take our free visa assessment. There are more than 80 visa pathways to Canada. Once you take your visa assessment we will be able to guide you as to which is the best path for your particular circumstances.
Step 2: Have Your Qualifications Accredited for Canada
In order to live and work in Canada as a Legal administrative assistant, you will need to have your qualifications that you earned outside of Canada accredited and ensure that it is recognized in Canada.
An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) confirms that your degree, diploma or certificate is both valid and equal to Canadian standards. This is vital as it will allow you to claim the Permanent Residency points for your education and training and might also be required for employment, professional registration within Canada and Canadian immigration services.
Below is a list of designated organizations that are licensed to do your assessment:
- Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies;
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada;
- World Education Services;
- International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS); and
- International Credential Evaluation Service.
Educational and experience requirements for Legal administrative assistants include:
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a one- or two-year college or other program for secretaries or legal secretaries is usually required.
- Completion of a recognized medical transcription program is usually required and the Certified Medical Transcriptionist (CMT) certificate may be required for medical transcriptors.
You may be required to provide a range of documentation and references to prove your abilities and experience during your evaluation process for Canadian Immigration.
Step 3: Start the Migration Process, apply for your Canada Visa
There are many routes you can take when moving to Canada as a Legal administrative assistant but we’ve listed the top 4 ways that will give you the greatest chances of success in the application process:
- Express Entry system
- Provincial Nominee Program
- The Rural and Northern Immigration Program
- The Atlantic Immigration Pilot
1. Express Entry
The Express Entry (EE) system is our top choice for moving to Canada as a Legal administrative assistant. Not only is it the fastest but it is also one of the simplest ways to immigrate to Canada. With the right age, language skills in French and/or English, qualifications and other criteria you could be moving to Canada fast, you could be on your way to Canada in 6 months.
The first stage in your Canadian Express Entry immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
Some of the elements that CRS Points are awarded for include:
- English ability
- French ability
- Your partner’s skills
- Work experience
Take our free online visa assessment for an up to date report on whether you have enough points to move to Canada as a Legal administrative assistant from both an Express Entry and Immigration points perspective.
2. Provincial Nominee Program
The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allows skilled and semi-skilled immigrants to live and work in Canada. You will need a valid job offer in Canada of at least 1 year for most immigration streams. 11 provinces and territories have their own PNPs, each with their own with specific labor needs.
If your skills match what your chosen province or territory is looking for, you may receive a provincial nomination, which is worth 600 extra Permanent Residency points which means that you’re practically assured of an offer for Canadian permanent residence.
3. The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot
Seeing as Legal administrative assistants are in-demand you may be eligible to immigrate to Canada through the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP). There are 11 participating communities currently participating in the pilot program. You will need a valid job offer in one of the participating communities to be considered eligible to apply for Canadian permanent residency through the RNIP.
4. The Atlantic Immigration Pilot
The Atlantic Immigration Pilot allows intermediate to highly and semi-skilled foreign workers to move to Canada’s Atlantic provinces and seeing as Legal administrative assistants are in high need in the 4 Atlantic provinces, you may be eligible to apply if you have a valid job offer for at least 1 year.
Step 4: Apply for a Legal administrative assistant Job in Canada
As a highly skilled worker, it is not a requirement that you have a job to be able to immigrate to Canada but it will make it faster. It will help with the immigration process as you can earn between 50 and 200 PR points for a valid job offer. This moves you ahead in the pool of candidates, as the more points you have the more chance you have of receiving an invitation in one of the many offer rounds made within the Canada Visa System.
Legal administrative assistants in Canada are described as doing the following:
- Prepare and key in correspondence and legal documents such as deeds wills affidavits and briefs from handwritten copy shorthand and machine dictation using computers
- Review and proofread documents and correspondence to ensure compliance with legal procedures and grammatical usage
- Schedule appointments meetings and conferences for employer
- Set up and maintain filing systems utilizing knowledge of legal records and procedures and frequently controlling confidential materials and documents
- Open and distribute regular and electronic incoming mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments or organizations
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in the use of current software
- May attend court meetings or conferences to take notes minutes and dictation
- May perform other general office work as required including preparing financial statements.
You can expect to see these terms in Job ads in Canada for Legal administrative assistants along with the following common tasks, duties and responsibilities of Legal administrative assistants in Canada.
There has never been a better time to get moving to Canada as a Legal administrative assistant.
If you are looking to apply to move to Canada in a different occupation, you can find the information on our Canada Skilled Immigration Guides page.
If you are looking for a job in Canada – you can find a guide on each occupation and the job application procedure for Canada on our Canada Job Guides index.
As mentioned above you will need to attend the Canadian Embassy nearest you during your application process to live in Canada as a Legal administrative assistant. You can find the complete list of all Canadian Embassies Worldwide here.