Immigrate to Canada as a Photographer

Immigrate to Canada as a a Photographer

Immigrate to Canada as a a Photographer

Photographers are in demand right across Canada and you may be able to secure a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa either with or without a job offer.


There are thousands of Photographers just like you moving to Canada. Find out how to join them.  Canada needs more Photographers.  If you are thinking about moving to Canada as a Photographer, all the information you need is right here.

Moving to Canada as a Photographer

Moving to Canada as a Photographer

Photographers are wanted in Canada

Did you know that Photographers are one of the most in-demand jobs in Canada? Photographers are in high demand in all 11 of Canada’s provinces and territories, and as a highly-skilled professional, you can expect to earn between $72300 and $98300 per year.


When considering Canada as your new home, there are not only numerous immigration options for you to choose from, but plenty of job opportunities too.

Jobs in Canada for Photographers

One of the biggest questions when moving to Canada is “will I be able to find work as a Photographer in Canada?”. The simple answer is Yes, you will!  (Of course each Photographers level of training and experience is a core factor, as is the case in any country.)


Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about jobs in Canada for Photographers.

Is There Really a Demand for Photographers in Canada?

Yes there is! As mentioned previously, you can immigrate to Canada as an experienced Photographer with a high chance of finding employment in any of Canada’s 11 provinces. These job opportunities can be found in:


  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Quebec
  • Saskatchewan


Over the next few years, it is estimated that there will be 22000 new jobs created due to expansion and a need for replacement as well as 29000 new positions for graduates and immigrants to fill who want to live and work in Canada.


This is why Canada needs Photographers.  You really can be moving to Canada as a Photographer

How Much Do Photographers Earn in Canada?

Salaries in Canada are very competitive and, as an experienced Photographer, you can expect to earn between $72300 and $98300 per year.

How do I search for Photographer positions in Canada?

Most Photographer jobs in Canada are advertised online on jobs sites.  Often, a code is used to identify Photographer jobs.  These codes are used across Canada to identify all kinds of occupations.


The codes are called NOC codes.  The NOC code for Photographer is 5221.  There are a range of positions that are associated with Photographers.


These are occupations many Photographers also participate in.  If you work in or are employed as any of the following positions, you are covered by the overarching noc code of 5221 for Photographers


Photographers operate still cameras to photograph people events scenes materials products and other subjects. They are employed by photographic studios newspapers magazines museums and government or they may be self-employed.;


Further Positions within the term of Photographer include:


  • Aerial photographer
  • Chief photographer
  • Commercial photographer
  • Evidence photographer – forensic
  • Fashion photographer
  • Finish photographer
  • Forensic photographer
  • Industrial photographer
  • Medical photographer
  • Multimedia photographer
  • Multimedia picture illustrator
  • News photographer
  • Photographer
  • Photography supervisor
  • Photojournalist
  • Photomicrographer
  • Police photographer
  • Portrait photographer
  • Racetrack finish photographer
  • Retoucher – photography
  • Scientific photographer
  • Still photographer
  • Street photographer
  • Wildlife photographer
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .


If your position is on the above list, you have found your relevant NOC Code, it is 5221

How Do I Move to Canada to Live and Work as a Photographer?

Step 1 : Determine you are eligible to immigrate

The simplest way to do this is to take our free visa assessment.  There are more than 80 visa pathways to Canada.  Once you take your visa assessment we will be able to guide you as to which is the best path for your particular circumstances.

Step 2: Have Your Qualifications Accredited for Canada

In order to live and work in Canada as a Photographer, you will need to have your qualifications that you earned outside of Canada accredited and ensure that it is recognized in Canada.


An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) confirms that your degree, diploma or certificate is both valid and equal to Canadian standards. This is vital as it will allow you to claim the Permanent Residency points for your education and training and might also be required for employment, professional registration within Canada and Canadian immigration services.


Below is a list of designated organizations that are  licensed to do your assessment:


  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies;
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada;
  • World Education Services;
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS); and
  • International Credential Evaluation Service.


Educational and experience requirements for Photographers include:


  • A bachelor’s degree in visual arts with specialization in photography or completion of specialized training in photography in high school college or specialized training schools or extensive on-the-job training under the supervision of a photographer is required.
  • Experience in or knowledge of computerized photography or digital imaging may be required.
  • Creative ability and artistic talent as demonstrated by a portfolio of work are required.
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .


You may be required to provide a range of documentation and references to prove your abilities and experience during your evaluation process for Canadian Immigration.

Start Your Evaluation

Step 3: Start the Migration Process, apply for your Canada Visa

There are many routes you can take when moving to Canada as a Photographer but we’ve listed the top 4 ways that will give you the greatest chances of success in the application process:


  1. Express Entry system
  2. Provincial Nominee Program
  3. The Rural and Northern Immigration Program
  4. The Atlantic Immigration Pilot


1. Express Entry

The Express Entry (EE) system is our top choice for moving to Canada as a Photographer. Not only is it the fastest but it is also one of the simplest ways to immigrate to Canada. With the right age, language skills in French and/or English, qualifications and other criteria you could be moving to Canada fast, you could be on your way to Canada in 6 months.


The first stage in your Canadian Express Entry immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).


Some of the elements that CRS Points are awarded for include:


  • Age
  • Qualifications
  • English ability
  • French ability
  • Your partner’s skills
  • Work experience


Take our free online visa assessment for an up to date report on whether you have enough points to move to Canada as a Photographer from both an Express Entry and Immigration points perspective.


2. Provincial Nominee Program


The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allows skilled and semi-skilled immigrants to live and work in Canada. You will need a valid job offer in Canada of at least 1 year for most immigration streams. 11 provinces and territories have their own PNPs, each with their own with specific labor needs.


If your skills match what your chosen province or territory is looking for, you may receive a provincial nomination, which is worth 600 extra Permanent Residency points which means that you’re practically assured of an offer for Canadian permanent residence.


3. The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot


Seeing as Photographers are in-demand you may be eligible to immigrate to Canada through the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP). There are 11 participating communities currently participating in the pilot program. You will need a valid job offer in one of the participating communities to be considered eligible to apply for Canadian permanent residency through the RNIP.


4. The Atlantic Immigration Pilot


The Atlantic Immigration Pilot allows intermediate to highly and semi-skilled foreign workers to move to Canada’s Atlantic provinces and seeing as Photographers are in high need in the 4 Atlantic provinces, you may be eligible to apply if you have a valid job offer for at least 1 year.

Step 4: Apply for a Photographer Job in Canada

As a highly skilled worker, it is not a requirement that you have a job to be able to immigrate to Canada but it will make it faster. It will help with the immigration process as you can earn between 50 and 200 PR points for a valid job offer.  This moves you ahead in the pool of candidates, as the more points you have the more chance you have of receiving an invitation in one of the many offer rounds made within the Canada Visa System.


Photographers in Canada are described as doing the following:



  • Study requirements of a particular assignment and decide on type of camera film lighting and background accessories to be used
  • Determine picture composition make technical adjustments to equipment and photograph subject
  • May operate scanners to transfer photographic images to computers
  • May operate computers to manipulate photographic images
  • May adapt existing photographic images and create new digitized images to be included in multimedia/new media products
  • May use delicate instruments such as optical microscopes attached to cameras
  • May process exposed film
  • May use airbrush computer or other techniques to retouch negatives
  • .
  • .



You can expect to see these terms in Job ads in Canada for Photographers along with the following common tasks, duties and responsibilities of Photographers in Canada.


There has never been a better time to get moving to Canada as a Photographer.

If you are looking to apply to move to Canada in a different occupation, you can find the information on our Canada Skilled Immigration Guides page.

If you are looking for a job in Canada – you can find a guide on each occupation and the job application procedure for Canada on our Canada Job Guides index.

As mentioned above you will need to attend the Canadian Embassy nearest you during your application process to live in Canada as a Photographer.  You can find the complete list of all Canadian Embassies Worldwide here.