Study in Canada from Cabo Verde
Study in Canada from Cabo Verde
This article describes in detail the process of how to Study in Canada from Cabo Verde. If you require any further help or information do take the Study in Canada visa assessment for Cabo Verde Citizens available on this page.
Why study in Canada from Cabo Verde?
The top reasons Cape Verdean student study in Canada are:
- ability to work as a Cape Verdean in Canada for the duration of the course
- Internationally recognized qualifications
- straightforward application process for Cabo Verde Nationals
- pathway to Canadian permanent residence for Cape Verdean Citizens
Of all the reasons, the pathway to permanent residency for Cape Verdean Citizens is why the majority of Cape Verdean students study in Canada as opposed to at home in Cabo Verde or elsewhere. The opportunities for Cape Verdean students studying in Canada cannot be matched globally.
Top 5 reasons to study in Canada from Cabo Verde
Study and work in Canada from Cabo Verde
International students from Cabo Verde often ask whether the can study and work in Canada. The Canadian Government allows Cape Verdean students on a Canadian study permit to undertake paid employment in Canada.
There are two ways a Cape Verdean student can study and work in Canada
- SW-1 Visa for Cape Verdean students studying in Canada. The SW-1 Visa is issued to Cape Verdean Citizens who have to complete an internship as part of their course.
- S-1 Visa for Cape Verdean students in general programs of Canadian higher education. This is the most popular Canadian Study and Work Visa for International students form Cabo Verde. The S-1 Study permit allows Cape Verdean students to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods
A student permit holder from Cabo Verde is able to work part time during semesters and full time hours being during term breaks.
If you would rather immigrate to Canada from Cabo Verde under another visa you can find out how in our guide on how to immigrate to Canada from Cabo Verde
Average salary for Cape Verdean students in Canada
The average earning for Cape Verdean students in Canada is:
- $37,050 per year
- $19 per hour
- Entry level positions start at $27,300 per year
- Experienced Cape Verdean student workers make up to $62,985 per year
How soon can I start work after arriving from Cabo Verde on a student visa?
You can start your work hours only after your study course commences. If you arrive in Canada from Cabo Verde earlier than this, you cannot work during that time.
You may only work after your course has formally begun. If you are caught working beyond the allowed hours on your Canadian work and study visa your visa may be cancelled and you will have to return to Cabo Verde.
Language requirements for study permit applicants from Cabo Verde
The IELTS test is not required for an Cape Verdean study permit application. However, educational institutions will require you to provide proof of your language proficiency in order for you to be offered admission. IELTS is just one of the accepted exams. Please contact your education establishment for their student application IELTS requirements for Cape Verdean Nationals.
Do Cape Verdean Citizens need a visa to study in Canada for less than 6 months?
Cape Verdean citizens do not require a study permit for courses lasting less than six months. However, the course must be completed within the six-month timeframe. If a student from Cabo Verde intends to stay for more than six months they must apply for the correct Student Visa and have it granted before they leave Cabo Verde.
Canada student visa requirement for Cape Verdean Citizens
Documents required to apply for a Canada Student Visa from Cabo Verde
- Cabo Verde Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Educational establishment in Canada
- Proof of Funds in Cabo Verde
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel from Cabo Verde to Canada
- Credit Card
Do I need a Sponsor to study in Canada from Cabo Verde
International students from Cabo Verde do not require a sponsor for a Canadian Student Visa.
The only requirements to study in Canada from Cabo Verde are
- be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
- prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- prove enough money for living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you
Proof of funds to Study in Canada from Cabo Verde
Cape Verdean students coming to Canada to study must be able to show funds available equal or greater than:
- CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your study
- CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec
- These figures are in addition to tuition fees
Study in Canada from Cabo Verde FAQs
What is the age limit for Canada student visa fromCabo Verde?
Cape Verdean students must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age.
The age is taken from the date of your birthday turning 18 and until the day before your 36th Birthday.
Is an interview required for a Canadian student visa application?
Cape Verdean students are not required to have an interview as part of their Canada Student Visa application
Is the medical for Cape Verdean Citizens applying for a Canada Study Visa?
The medical examination is compulsory for all Cape Verdean students applying for a Canadian student visa.
When should I apply for my Study Permit?
Cape Verdean applicants should apply as soon as the letter of acceptance (LOA) is received from the education provider
Difference between a study permit and a student visa for Cape Verdean students moving to Canada
- The Canada Student Visa allows you to enter Canada a Citizen of Cabo Verde
- The Study Permit gives you the permission to stay in the country
- As a Citizen of Cabo Verde you will be issued with a student visa and a Canadian Study Permit
Canada Student Permit cost from Cabo Verde?
The Canadian Study Permit costs $150 Canadian per person for applicants from Cabo Verde
Can I go back to Cabo Verde or travel while on a Canada Student Visa?
As a Citizen of Cabo Verde you are allowed to leave Canada during your studies. These can be trips to return to Cabo Verde or elsewhere. Your student visa allows you to travel in and out of Canada. When arriving back in Canada from a trip to Cabo Verde or anywhere else, you will need to prove you are currently enrolled in your institution.
Can I bring my family with me from Cabo Verde Canada on a student visa?
If you are a Citizen of Cabo Verde you will usually be able to bring your partner or spouse and dependent children with you. There are no restrictions on the number of hours your partner or spouse may work in Canada for the duration of the visa.
As a Cape Verdean International Student can I get Canadian Permanent Residence?
Many students from Cabo Verde convert their Canada student visa to full Canadian Permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class Visa. The CEC visa is the main reason why individuals study in Canada from Cabo Verde.
The Canadian Experience Class is a direct path to Canadian Citizenship and dual nationality. The Canadian Government recognizes students from Cabo Verde make great candidates to become long term Canadian residents and eventually citizens of Canada.
Students from Cabo Verde who have studied at least for two years at an accredited college or university on a full-time basis are eligible to apply for permanent residency via the CEC Visa program. Cape Verdean students are welcomed to Canada.
Best Canada cities for Cape Verdean students
The best Canadian cities for Cape Verdean students have been voted as
Best Canada nightlife for students from Cabo Verde
The Canada cities with the best nightlife for students from Cabo Verde are
Canada student visa processing time for Cape Verdean applications?
The processing time for Canadian student visa applications from Cabo Verde is 15 days.
Usually 15 days are enough as there are no Interviews for the Canadian student visa and permit. Do not book flights from Cabo Verde to Canada until the visa has been granted.
Jacqueline Chow is an international immigration and visa expert with over 15 years of experience in the field. With a background in law and a passion for helping people, Jacqueline has built a reputation as a trusted and reliable source of information and advice on all aspects of immigration and visas. She has worked with clients from all over the world, including high-net-worth individuals, professionals, skilled workers and families. As a sought-after speaker and commentator Jacqueline has been featured in various media outlets and has given talks on immigration and visas at conferences and events around the world.