Study in Canada from Germany
Study in Canada from Germany
This article describes in detail the process of how to Study in Canada from Germany. If you require any further help or information do take the Study in Canada visa assessment for Germany Citizens available on this page.
Why study in Canada from Germany?
The top reasons German student study in Canada are:
- ability to work as a German in Canada for the duration of the course
- Internationally recognized qualifications
- straightforward application process for Germany Nationals
- pathway to Canadian permanent residence for German Citizens
Of all the reasons, the pathway to permanent residency for German Citizens is why the majority of German students study in Canada as opposed to at home in Germany or elsewhere. The opportunities for German students studying in Canada cannot be matched globally.
Top 5 reasons to study in Canada from Germany
Study and work in Canada from Germany
International students from Germany often ask whether the can study and work in Canada. The Canadian Government allows German students on a Canadian study permit to undertake paid employment in Canada.
There are two ways a German student can study and work in Canada
- SW-1 Visa for German students studying in Canada. The SW-1 Visa is issued to German Citizens who have to complete an internship as part of their course.
- S-1 Visa for German students in general programs of Canadian higher education. This is the most popular Canadian Study and Work Visa for International students form Germany. The S-1 Study permit allows German students to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods
A student permit holder from Germany is able to work part time during semesters and full time hours being during term breaks.
If you would rather immigrate to Canada from Germany under another visa you can find out how in our guide on how to immigrate to Canada from Germany
Average salary for German students in Canada
The average earning for German students in Canada is:
- $37,050 per year
- $19 per hour
- Entry level positions start at $27,300 per year
- Experienced German student workers make up to $62,985 per year
How soon can I start work after arriving from Germany on a student visa?
You can start your work hours only after your study course commences. If you arrive in Canada from Germany earlier than this, you cannot work during that time.
You may only work after your course has formally begun. If you are caught working beyond the allowed hours on your Canadian work and study visa your visa may be cancelled and you will have to return to Germany.
Language requirements for study permit applicants from Germany
The IELTS test is not required for an German study permit application. However, educational institutions will require you to provide proof of your language proficiency in order for you to be offered admission. IELTS is just one of the accepted exams. Please contact your education establishment for their student application IELTS requirements for German Nationals.
Do German Citizens need a visa to study in Canada for less than 6 months?
German citizens do not require a study permit for courses lasting less than six months. However, the course must be completed within the six-month timeframe. If a student from Germany intends to stay for more than six months they must apply for the correct Student Visa and have it granted before they leave Germany.
Canada student visa requirement for German Citizens
Documents required to apply for a Canada Student Visa from Germany
- Germany Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Educational establishment in Canada
- Proof of Funds in Germany
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel from Germany to Canada
- Credit Card
Do I need a Sponsor to study in Canada from Germany
International students from Germany do not require a sponsor for a Canadian Student Visa.
The only requirements to study in Canada from Germany are
- be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
- prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- prove enough money for living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you
Proof of funds to Study in Canada from Germany
German students coming to Canada to study must be able to show funds available equal or greater than:
- CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your study
- CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec
- These figures are in addition to tuition fees
Study in Canada from Germany FAQs
What is the age limit for Canada student visa fromGermany?
German students must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age.
The age is taken from the date of your birthday turning 18 and until the day before your 36th Birthday.
Is an interview required for a Canadian student visa application?
German students are not required to have an interview as part of their Canada Student Visa application
Is the medical for German Citizens applying for a Canada Study Visa?
The medical examination is compulsory for all German students applying for a Canadian student visa.
When should I apply for my Study Permit?
German applicants should apply as soon as the letter of acceptance (LOA) is received from the education provider
Difference between a study permit and a student visa for German students moving to Canada
- The Canada Student Visa allows you to enter Canada a Citizen of Germany
- The Study Permit gives you the permission to stay in the country
- As a Citizen of Germany you will be issued with a student visa and a Canadian Study Permit
Canada Student Permit cost from Germany?
The Canadian Study Permit costs $150 Canadian per person for applicants from Germany
Can I go back to Germany or travel while on a Canada Student Visa?
As a Citizen of Germany you are allowed to leave Canada during your studies. These can be trips to return to Germany or elsewhere. Your student visa allows you to travel in and out of Canada. When arriving back in Canada from a trip to Germany or anywhere else, you will need to prove you are currently enrolled in your institution.
Can I bring my family with me from Germany Canada on a student visa?
If you are a Citizen of Germany you will usually be able to bring your partner or spouse and dependent children with you. There are no restrictions on the number of hours your partner or spouse may work in Canada for the duration of the visa.
As a German International Student can I get Canadian Permanent Residence?
Many students from Germany convert their Canada student visa to full Canadian Permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class Visa. The CEC visa is the main reason why individuals study in Canada from Germany.
The Canadian Experience Class is a direct path to Canadian Citizenship and dual nationality. The Canadian Government recognizes students from Germany make great candidates to become long term Canadian residents and eventually citizens of Canada.
Students from Germany who have studied at least for two years at an accredited college or university on a full-time basis are eligible to apply for permanent residency via the CEC Visa program. German students are welcomed to Canada.
Best Canada cities for German students
The best Canadian cities for German students have been voted as
Best Canada nightlife for students from Germany
The Canada cities with the best nightlife for students from Germany are
Canada student visa processing time for German applications?
The processing time for Canadian student visa applications from Germany is 15 days.
Usually 15 days are enough as there are no Interviews for the Canadian student visa and permit. Do not book flights from Germany to Canada until the visa has been granted.
Canada Made Simple offer a number of merit based Scholarships to German students studying in Canada.