Study in Canada from Malta
Study in Canada from Malta
This article describes in detail the process of how to Study in Canada from Malta. If you require any further help or information do take the Study in Canada visa assessment for Malta Citizens available on this page.
Why study in Canada from Malta?
The top reasons Maltese student study in Canada are:
- ability to work as a Maltese in Canada for the duration of the course
- Internationally recognized qualifications
- straightforward application process for Malta Nationals
- pathway to Canadian permanent residence for Maltese Citizens
Of all the reasons, the pathway to permanent residency for Maltese Citizens is why the majority of Maltese students study in Canada as opposed to at home in Malta or elsewhere. The opportunities for Maltese students studying in Canada cannot be matched globally.
Top 5 reasons to study in Canada from Malta
Study and work in Canada from Malta
International students from Malta often ask whether the can study and work in Canada. The Canadian Government allows Maltese students on a Canadian study permit to undertake paid employment in Canada.
There are two ways a Maltese student can study and work in Canada
- SW-1 Visa for Maltese students studying in Canada. The SW-1 Visa is issued to Maltese Citizens who have to complete an internship as part of their course.
- S-1 Visa for Maltese students in general programs of Canadian higher education. This is the most popular Canadian Study and Work Visa for International students form Malta. The S-1 Study permit allows Maltese students to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods
A student permit holder from Malta is able to work part time during semesters and full time hours being during term breaks.
If you would rather immigrate to Canada from Malta under another visa you can find out how in our guide on how to immigrate to Canada from Malta
Average salary for Maltese students in Canada
The average earning for Maltese students in Canada is:
- $37,050 per year
- $19 per hour
- Entry level positions start at $27,300 per year
- Experienced Maltese student workers make up to $62,985 per year
How soon can I start work after arriving from Malta on a student visa?
You can start your work hours only after your study course commences. If you arrive in Canada from Malta earlier than this, you cannot work during that time.
You may only work after your course has formally begun. If you are caught working beyond the allowed hours on your Canadian work and study visa your visa may be cancelled and you will have to return to Malta.
Language requirements for study permit applicants from Malta
The IELTS test is not required for an Maltese study permit application. However, educational institutions will require you to provide proof of your language proficiency in order for you to be offered admission. IELTS is just one of the accepted exams. Please contact your education establishment for their student application IELTS requirements for Maltese Nationals.
Do Maltese Citizens need a visa to study in Canada for less than 6 months?
Maltese citizens do not require a study permit for courses lasting less than six months. However, the course must be completed within the six-month timeframe. If a student from Malta intends to stay for more than six months they must apply for the correct Student Visa and have it granted before they leave Malta.
Canada student visa requirement for Maltese Citizens
Documents required to apply for a Canada Student Visa from Malta
- Malta Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Educational establishment in Canada
- Proof of Funds in Malta
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel from Malta to Canada
- Credit Card
Do I need a Sponsor to study in Canada from Malta
International students from Malta do not require a sponsor for a Canadian Student Visa.
The only requirements to study in Canada from Malta are
- be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
- prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- prove enough money for living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you
Proof of funds to Study in Canada from Malta
Maltese students coming to Canada to study must be able to show funds available equal or greater than:
- CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your study
- CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec
- These figures are in addition to tuition fees
Study in Canada from Malta FAQs
What is the age limit for Canada student visa fromMalta?
Maltese students must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age.
The age is taken from the date of your birthday turning 18 and until the day before your 36th Birthday.
Is an interview required for a Canadian student visa application?
Maltese students are not required to have an interview as part of their Canada Student Visa application
Is the medical for Maltese Citizens applying for a Canada Study Visa?
The medical examination is compulsory for all Maltese students applying for a Canadian student visa.
When should I apply for my Study Permit?
Maltese applicants should apply as soon as the letter of acceptance (LOA) is received from the education provider
Difference between a study permit and a student visa for Maltese students moving to Canada
- The Canada Student Visa allows you to enter Canada a Citizen of Malta
- The Study Permit gives you the permission to stay in the country
- As a Citizen of Malta you will be issued with a student visa and a Canadian Study Permit
Canada Student Permit cost from Malta?
The Canadian Study Permit costs $150 Canadian per person for applicants from Malta
Can I go back to Malta or travel while on a Canada Student Visa?
As a Citizen of Malta you are allowed to leave Canada during your studies. These can be trips to return to Malta or elsewhere. Your student visa allows you to travel in and out of Canada. When arriving back in Canada from a trip to Malta or anywhere else, you will need to prove you are currently enrolled in your institution.
Can I bring my family with me from Malta Canada on a student visa?
If you are a Citizen of Malta you will usually be able to bring your partner or spouse and dependent children with you. There are no restrictions on the number of hours your partner or spouse may work in Canada for the duration of the visa.
As a Maltese International Student can I get Canadian Permanent Residence?
Many students from Malta convert their Canada student visa to full Canadian Permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class Visa. The CEC visa is the main reason why individuals study in Canada from Malta.
The Canadian Experience Class is a direct path to Canadian Citizenship and dual nationality. The Canadian Government recognizes students from Malta make great candidates to become long term Canadian residents and eventually citizens of Canada.
Students from Malta who have studied at least for two years at an accredited college or university on a full-time basis are eligible to apply for permanent residency via the CEC Visa program. Maltese students are welcomed to Canada.
Best Canada cities for Maltese students
The best Canadian cities for Maltese students have been voted as
Best Canada nightlife for students from Malta
The Canada cities with the best nightlife for students from Malta are
Canada student visa processing time for Maltese applications?
The processing time for Canadian student visa applications from Malta is 15 days.
Usually 15 days are enough as there are no Interviews for the Canadian student visa and permit. Do not book flights from Malta to Canada until the visa has been granted.
Canada Made Simple offer a number of merit based Scholarships to Maltese students studying in Canada.