Study in Canada from Mexico
Study in Canada from Mexico
This article describes in detail the process of how to Study in Canada from Mexico. If you require any further help or information do take the Study in Canada visa assessment for Mexico Citizens available on this page.
Why study in Canada from Mexico?
The top reasons Mexican student study in Canada are:
- ability to work as a Mexican in Canada for the duration of the course
- Internationally recognized qualifications
- straightforward application process for Mexico Nationals
- pathway to Canadian permanent residence for Mexican Citizens
Of all the reasons, the pathway to permanent residency for Mexican Citizens is why the majority of Mexican students study in Canada as opposed to at home in Mexico or elsewhere. The opportunities for Mexican students studying in Canada cannot be matched globally.
Top 5 reasons to study in Canada from Mexico
Study and work in Canada from Mexico
International students from Mexico often ask whether the can study and work in Canada. The Canadian Government allows Mexican students on a Canadian study permit to undertake paid employment in Canada.
There are two ways a Mexican student can study and work in Canada
- SW-1 Visa for Mexican students studying in Canada. The SW-1 Visa is issued to Mexican Citizens who have to complete an internship as part of their course.
- S-1 Visa for Mexican students in general programs of Canadian higher education. This is the most popular Canadian Study and Work Visa for International students form Mexico. The S-1 Study permit allows Mexican students to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods
A student permit holder from Mexico is able to work part time during semesters and full time hours being during term breaks.
If you would rather immigrate to Canada from Mexico under another visa you can find out how in our guide on how to immigrate to Canada from Mexico
Average salary for Mexican students in Canada
The average earning for Mexican students in Canada is:
- $37,050 per year
- $19 per hour
- Entry level positions start at $27,300 per year
- Experienced Mexican student workers make up to $62,985 per year
How soon can I start work after arriving from Mexico on a student visa?
You can start your work hours only after your study course commences. If you arrive in Canada from Mexico earlier than this, you cannot work during that time.
You may only work after your course has formally begun. If you are caught working beyond the allowed hours on your Canadian work and study visa your visa may be cancelled and you will have to return to Mexico.
Language requirements for study permit applicants from Mexico
The IELTS test is not required for an Mexican study permit application. However, educational institutions will require you to provide proof of your language proficiency in order for you to be offered admission. IELTS is just one of the accepted exams. Please contact your education establishment for their student application IELTS requirements for Mexican Nationals.
Do Mexican Citizens need a visa to study in Canada for less than 6 months?
Mexican citizens do not require a study permit for courses lasting less than six months. However, the course must be completed within the six-month timeframe. If a student from Mexico intends to stay for more than six months they must apply for the correct Student Visa and have it granted before they leave Mexico.
Canada student visa requirement for Mexican Citizens
Documents required to apply for a Canada Student Visa from Mexico
- Mexico Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Educational establishment in Canada
- Proof of Funds in Mexico
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel from Mexico to Canada
- Credit Card
Do I need a Sponsor to study in Canada from Mexico
International students from Mexico do not require a sponsor for a Canadian Student Visa.
The only requirements to study in Canada from Mexico are
- be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
- prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- prove enough money for living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you
Proof of funds to Study in Canada from Mexico
Mexican students coming to Canada to study must be able to show funds available equal or greater than:
- CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your study
- CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec
- These figures are in addition to tuition fees
Study in Canada from Mexico FAQs
What is the age limit for Canada student visa fromMexico?
Mexican students must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age.
The age is taken from the date of your birthday turning 18 and until the day before your 36th Birthday.
Is an interview required for a Canadian student visa application?
Mexican students are not required to have an interview as part of their Canada Student Visa application
Is the medical for Mexican Citizens applying for a Canada Study Visa?
The medical examination is compulsory for all Mexican students applying for a Canadian student visa.
When should I apply for my Study Permit?
Mexican applicants should apply as soon as the letter of acceptance (LOA) is received from the education provider
Difference between a study permit and a student visa for Mexican students moving to Canada
- The Canada Student Visa allows you to enter Canada a Citizen of Mexico
- The Study Permit gives you the permission to stay in the country
- As a Citizen of Mexico you will be issued with a student visa and a Canadian Study Permit
Canada Student Permit cost from Mexico?
The Canadian Study Permit costs $150 Canadian per person for applicants from Mexico
Can I go back to Mexico or travel while on a Canada Student Visa?
As a Citizen of Mexico you are allowed to leave Canada during your studies. These can be trips to return to Mexico or elsewhere. Your student visa allows you to travel in and out of Canada. When arriving back in Canada from a trip to Mexico or anywhere else, you will need to prove you are currently enrolled in your institution.
Can I bring my family with me from Mexico Canada on a student visa?
If you are a Citizen of Mexico you will usually be able to bring your partner or spouse and dependent children with you. There are no restrictions on the number of hours your partner or spouse may work in Canada for the duration of the visa.
As a Mexican International Student can I get Canadian Permanent Residence?
Many students from Mexico convert their Canada student visa to full Canadian Permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class Visa. The CEC visa is the main reason why individuals study in Canada from Mexico.
The Canadian Experience Class is a direct path to Canadian Citizenship and dual nationality. The Canadian Government recognizes students from Mexico make great candidates to become long term Canadian residents and eventually citizens of Canada.
Students from Mexico who have studied at least for two years at an accredited college or university on a full-time basis are eligible to apply for permanent residency via the CEC Visa program. Mexican students are welcomed to Canada.
Best Canada cities for Mexican students
The best Canadian cities for Mexican students have been voted as
Best Canada nightlife for students from Mexico
The Canada cities with the best nightlife for students from Mexico are
Canada student visa processing time for Mexican applications?
The processing time for Canadian student visa applications from Mexico is 15 days.
Usually 15 days are enough as there are no Interviews for the Canadian student visa and permit. Do not book flights from Mexico to Canada until the visa has been granted.
Canada Made Simple offer a number of merit based Scholarships to Mexican students studying in Canada.