Study in Canada from Suriname
Study in Canada from Suriname
This article describes in detail the process of how to Study in Canada from Suriname. If you require any further help or information do take the Study in Canada visa assessment for Suriname Citizens available on this page.
Why study in Canada from Suriname?
The top reasons Surinamer student study in Canada are:
- ability to work as a Surinamer in Canada for the duration of the course
- Internationally recognized qualifications
- straightforward application process for Suriname Nationals
- pathway to Canadian permanent residence for Surinamer Citizens
Of all the reasons, the pathway to permanent residency for Surinamer Citizens is why the majority of Surinamer students study in Canada as opposed to at home in Suriname or elsewhere. The opportunities for Surinamer students studying in Canada cannot be matched globally.
Top 5 reasons to study in Canada from Suriname
Study and work in Canada from Suriname
International students from Suriname often ask whether the can study and work in Canada. The Canadian Government allows Surinamer students on a Canadian study permit to undertake paid employment in Canada.
There are two ways a Surinamer student can study and work in Canada
- SW-1 Visa for Surinamer students studying in Canada. The SW-1 Visa is issued to Surinamer Citizens who have to complete an internship as part of their course.
- S-1 Visa for Surinamer students in general programs of Canadian higher education. This is the most popular Canadian Study and Work Visa for International students form Suriname. The S-1 Study permit allows Surinamer students to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods
A student permit holder from Suriname is able to work part time during semesters and full time hours being during term breaks.
If you would rather immigrate to Canada from Suriname under another visa you can find out how in our guide on how to immigrate to Canada from Suriname
Average salary for Surinamer students in Canada
The average earning for Surinamer students in Canada is:
- $37,050 per year
- $19 per hour
- Entry level positions start at $27,300 per year
- Experienced Surinamer student workers make up to $62,985 per year
How soon can I start work after arriving from Suriname on a student visa?
You can start your work hours only after your study course commences. If you arrive in Canada from Suriname earlier than this, you cannot work during that time.
You may only work after your course has formally begun. If you are caught working beyond the allowed hours on your Canadian work and study visa your visa may be cancelled and you will have to return to Suriname.
Language requirements for study permit applicants from Suriname
The IELTS test is not required for an Surinamer study permit application. However, educational institutions will require you to provide proof of your language proficiency in order for you to be offered admission. IELTS is just one of the accepted exams. Please contact your education establishment for their student application IELTS requirements for Surinamer Nationals.
Do Surinamer Citizens need a visa to study in Canada for less than 6 months?
Surinamer citizens do not require a study permit for courses lasting less than six months. However, the course must be completed within the six-month timeframe. If a student from Suriname intends to stay for more than six months they must apply for the correct Student Visa and have it granted before they leave Suriname.
Canada student visa requirement for Surinamer Citizens
Documents required to apply for a Canada Student Visa from Suriname
- Suriname Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Educational establishment in Canada
- Proof of Funds in Suriname
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel from Suriname to Canada
- Credit Card
Do I need a Sponsor to study in Canada from Suriname
International students from Suriname do not require a sponsor for a Canadian Student Visa.
The only requirements to study in Canada from Suriname are
- be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
- prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- prove enough money for living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you
Proof of funds to Study in Canada from Suriname
Surinamer students coming to Canada to study must be able to show funds available equal or greater than:
- CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your study
- CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec
- These figures are in addition to tuition fees
Study in Canada from Suriname FAQs
What is the age limit for Canada student visa fromSuriname?
Surinamer students must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age.
The age is taken from the date of your birthday turning 18 and until the day before your 36th Birthday.
Is an interview required for a Canadian student visa application?
Surinamer students are not required to have an interview as part of their Canada Student Visa application
Is the medical for Surinamer Citizens applying for a Canada Study Visa?
The medical examination is compulsory for all Surinamer students applying for a Canadian student visa.
When should I apply for my Study Permit?
Surinamer applicants should apply as soon as the letter of acceptance (LOA) is received from the education provider
Difference between a study permit and a student visa for Surinamer students moving to Canada
- The Canada Student Visa allows you to enter Canada a Citizen of Suriname
- The Study Permit gives you the permission to stay in the country
- As a Citizen of Suriname you will be issued with a student visa and a Canadian Study Permit
Canada Student Permit cost from Suriname?
The Canadian Study Permit costs $150 Canadian per person for applicants from Suriname
Can I go back to Suriname or travel while on a Canada Student Visa?
As a Citizen of Suriname you are allowed to leave Canada during your studies. These can be trips to return to Suriname or elsewhere. Your student visa allows you to travel in and out of Canada. When arriving back in Canada from a trip to Suriname or anywhere else, you will need to prove you are currently enrolled in your institution.
Can I bring my family with me from Suriname Canada on a student visa?
If you are a Citizen of Suriname you will usually be able to bring your partner or spouse and dependent children with you. There are no restrictions on the number of hours your partner or spouse may work in Canada for the duration of the visa.
As a Surinamer International Student can I get Canadian Permanent Residence?
Many students from Suriname convert their Canada student visa to full Canadian Permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class Visa. The CEC visa is the main reason why individuals study in Canada from Suriname.
The Canadian Experience Class is a direct path to Canadian Citizenship and dual nationality. The Canadian Government recognizes students from Suriname make great candidates to become long term Canadian residents and eventually citizens of Canada.
Students from Suriname who have studied at least for two years at an accredited college or university on a full-time basis are eligible to apply for permanent residency via the CEC Visa program. Surinamer students are welcomed to Canada.
Best Canada cities for Surinamer students
The best Canadian cities for Surinamer students have been voted as
Best Canada nightlife for students from Suriname
The Canada cities with the best nightlife for students from Suriname are
Canada student visa processing time for Surinamer applications?
The processing time for Canadian student visa applications from Suriname is 15 days.
Usually 15 days are enough as there are no Interviews for the Canadian student visa and permit. Do not book flights from Suriname to Canada until the visa has been granted.
Canada Made Simple offer a number of merit based Scholarships to Surinamer students studying in Canada.