Study in Canada from United States
Study in Canada from United States
This article describes in detail the process of how to Study in Canada from United States. If you require any further help or information do take the Study in Canada visa assessment for United States Citizens available on this page.
Why study in Canada from United States?
The top reasons American student study in Canada are:
- ability to work as an American in Canada for the duration of the course
- Internationally recognized qualifications
- straightforward application process for United States Nationals
- pathway to Canadian permanent residence for American Citizens
Of all the reasons, the pathway to permanent residency for American Citizens is why the majority of American students study in Canada as opposed to at home in United States or elsewhere. The opportunities for American students studying in Canada cannot be matched globally.
Top 5 reasons to study in Canada from United States
Study and work in Canada from United States
International students from United States often ask whether the can study and work in Canada. The Canadian Government allows American students on a Canadian study permit to undertake paid employment in Canada.
There are two ways an American student can study and work in Canada
- SW-1 Visa for American students studying in Canada. The SW-1 Visa is issued to American Citizens who have to complete an internship as part of their course.
- S-1 Visa for American students in general programs of Canadian higher education. This is the most popular Canadian Study and Work Visa for International students form United States. The S-1 Study permit allows American students to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods
A student permit holder from United States is able to work part time during semesters and full time hours being during term breaks.
If you would rather immigrate to Canada from United States under another visa you can find out how in our guide on how to immigrate to Canada from United States
Average salary for American students in Canada
The average earning for American students in Canada is:
- $37,050 per year
- $19 per hour
- Entry level positions start at $27,300 per year
- Experienced American student workers make up to $62,985 per year
How soon can I start work after arriving from United States on a student visa?
You can start your work hours only after your study course commences. If you arrive in Canada from United States earlier than this, you cannot work during that time.
You may only work after your course has formally begun. If you are caught working beyond the allowed hours on your Canadian work and study visa your visa may be cancelled and you will have to return to United States.
Language requirements for study permit applicants from United States
The IELTS test is not required for an American study permit application. However, educational institutions will require you to provide proof of your language proficiency in order for you to be offered admission. IELTS is just one of the accepted exams. Please contact your education establishment for their student application IELTS requirements for American Nationals.
Do American Citizens need a visa to study in Canada for less than 6 months?
American citizens do not require a study permit for courses lasting less than six months. However, the course must be completed within the six-month timeframe. If a student from United States intends to stay for more than six months they must apply for the correct Student Visa and have it granted before they leave United States.
Canada student visa requirement for American Citizens
Documents required to apply for a Canada Student Visa from United States
- United States Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Educational establishment in Canada
- Proof of Funds in United States
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel from United States to Canada
- Credit Card
Do I need a Sponsor to study in Canada from United States
International students from United States do not require a sponsor for a Canadian Student Visa.
The only requirements to study in Canada from United States are
- be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
- prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees
- prove enough money for living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you
Proof of funds to Study in Canada from United States
American students coming to Canada to study must be able to show funds available equal or greater than:
- CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your study
- CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec
- These figures are in addition to tuition fees
Study in Canada from United States FAQs
What is the age limit for Canada student visa fromUnited States?
American students must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age.
The age is taken from the date of your birthday turning 18 and until the day before your 36th Birthday.
Is an interview required for a Canadian student visa application?
American students are not required to have an interview as part of their Canada Student Visa application
Is the medical for American Citizens applying for a Canada Study Visa?
The medical examination is compulsory for all American students applying for a Canadian student visa.
When should I apply for my Study Permit?
American applicants should apply as soon as the letter of acceptance (LOA) is received from the education provider
Difference between a study permit and a student visa for American students moving to Canada
- The Canada Student Visa allows you to enter Canada a Citizen of United States
- The Study Permit gives you the permission to stay in the country
- As a Citizen of United States you will be issued with a student visa and a Canadian Study Permit
Canada Student Permit cost from United States?
The Canadian Study Permit costs $150 Canadian per person for applicants from United States
Can I go back to United States or travel while on a Canada Student Visa?
As a Citizen of United States you are allowed to leave Canada during your studies. These can be trips to return to United States or elsewhere. Your student visa allows you to travel in and out of Canada. When arriving back in Canada from a trip to United States or anywhere else, you will need to prove you are currently enrolled in your institution.
Can I bring my family with me from United States Canada on a student visa?
If you are a Citizen of United States you will usually be able to bring your partner or spouse and dependent children with you. There are no restrictions on the number of hours your partner or spouse may work in Canada for the duration of the visa.
As a American International Student can I get Canadian Permanent Residence?
Many students from United States convert their Canada student visa to full Canadian Permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class Visa. The CEC visa is the main reason why individuals study in Canada from United States.
The Canadian Experience Class is a direct path to Canadian Citizenship and dual nationality. The Canadian Government recognizes students from United States make great candidates to become long term Canadian residents and eventually citizens of Canada.
Students from United States who have studied at least for two years at an accredited college or university on a full-time basis are eligible to apply for permanent residency via the CEC Visa program. American students are welcomed to Canada.
Best Canada cities for American students
The best Canadian cities for American students have been voted as
Best Canada nightlife for students from United States
The Canada cities with the best nightlife for students from United States are
Canada student visa processing time for American applications?
The processing time for Canadian student visa applications from United States is 15 days.
Usually 15 days are enough as there are no Interviews for the Canadian student visa and permit. Do not book flights from United States to Canada until the visa has been granted.
Canada Made Simple offer a number of merit based Scholarships to American students studying in Canada.